I mentioned this piece of software in a previous post; and I believe this software deserved to be mentioned again in a single post. I must say that among all the software vendors which provides Laptop / PC I had seen such as Acer, HP, Dell, Gateway etc... None of them has such a tool like ThinkVantage System Update.
So what exactly is ThinkVantage System Update? Think of it as a Lenovo (previous IBM) Thinkpad Live Update system similar to Windows Updates or your Anti-Something Update. It will pick up the exact model of your laptop or PC and then find the updates that you may require. So, you won't end up picking the wrong drivers for something you do not have. This is quite common on other vendors especially if they distributes many model of bluetooth or DVD writers with the same range. You will have to dig pretty hard and remember those when you choose which driver to download. This, however, is not the case with Lenovo because of ThinkVantage Update.
This is the descriptions provided on Lenovo's page:
"System Update™ helps you reduce the time, effort, and expense required to support and maintain the latest drivers, BIOS, and other applications for Think or Lenovo systems. It enables you to get the latest updates from the Lenovo support site, or to automatically schedule your system to be updated."
I would love to repeat other stuff from that page, but I think its probably better you go take a look yourself if you are using a Lenovo system. However, I find the following information at least is useful to state here:
- Lenovo 3000 C100, C200, N100, N200, V100, V200 notebook computers
- Lenovo 3000 J100, J105, J110, J115, J200, J200p, J205, S200, S200p, S205 desktop computers
- ThinkPad Reserve Edition
- ThinkPad A30, A30p, A31, A31p
- ThinkPad G40, G41, G50
- ThinkPad R30, R31, R32, R40, R40e, R50, R50e, R50p, R51, R51e, R52, R60, R60e, R60i, R61, R61e, R61i
- ThinkPad S31
- ThinkPad T23, T30, T40, T40p, T41, T41p, T42, T42p, T43, T43p, T60, T60p, T61, T61p
- ThinkPad X22, X23, X24, X30, X31, X32, X40, X41, X41 Tablet, X60, X60s, X60 Tablet, X61, X61s, X61 Tablet, X300
- ThinkPad Z60m, Z60s, Z60t, Z61e, Z61m, Z61p, Z61t
- ThinkPad SL300, SL400, SL500
- ThinkPad T400, T500
- All ThinkCentre desktop computers
- All ThinkStation desktop computers
I find it strange that by default System Update is not installed on the thinkpad I get. Ok, there may also be a chance it was removed by "smart" administrators to prevent us from updating the laptops. But in any case, here is the link to read about and to download it:
Lastly, I think its fair to say I am supportive of this software and really wish other vendors has something like this. However, I am also state that I do not work for IBM or Lenovo and is no way associated with this software.